Monday, June 11, 2007

Cher: Refusing to Turn Back Time

At this point in Cher’s life, is there anybody alive who hasn’t read or heard everything there is about her and formed an opinion?

We’ll see.

On who she is

”I spend half my time trying to let people know who I am, and the other half trying to hide myself from people.”

“People think that because you're a bit flamboyant, you are not serious, or that you aren't pensive, or that you don't have strong opinions. I have opinions that I don't think I could ever voice until I got old enough not to give a s--- what people think.”

“I'm not sure that I have the guts to actually be as outspoken as I'd like to be. Underneath, I think I'm still really a radical. And I think that '60s thing doesn't exactly go away.”

On being called a “diva”

“That comes from you, the journalists. How did I get that reputation? Because I am so not the diva. And every time someone asks me what a diva is, I say that it's someone who thinks they are superior and is demanding all the time, for no reason.”

”I don't care what anyone calls me. It doesn't make a difference to me but that is just not who I am.”

On having “some work done”

"Yes, I have had a facelift, but who hasn't? I have become the plastic surgery poster girl. I asked my 90-year-old grandmother what she wanted for her 90th birthday and she wanted collagen in her lips!”

“Everyone says I am terrified of getting old but the truth is that in my job becoming old and becoming extinct are one and the same thing."

On Sonny

“We used to fight all the time and it didn't make any real difference. We never fought when we were married, that's the strange thing… I just always gave in. But, afterwards, we would fight, but, ya know, it didn't make any difference.”

"We had the strangest relationship. When were in court he had tried to sue me and have Chastity taken away from me and he said I was an unfit mother, and then he lost and as we were coming out of the court he grabbed me and kissed me. If it had been anyone else but him I probably would have punched them, but because we had such a strange relationship, I just started to laugh."

“I have dreams about him, ya know? It's, like, really weird – he just kinda hangs around.”

On younger men

”As I got older, men my age weren't interested in me. It’s like they didn't want to be caught dead with a woman my age. They're on their third family, and they always go for the 25-year-old girl. Once I turned 40, it was the younger guys who were attracted to me.”

On looking for a relationship

”You know, you don't look for that. You stumble over it. You fall
into it, but you don't go looking for relationships. They either happen or they don't.”

On children

”I couldn’t imagine never being a mother. I think that my life would have been empty without them.”

On her dry spell acting career

“When you get to a certain age you just don’t get many offers until you get much older. There is a big spot where it’s a long dry spell.”

“I’m in no man’s land, literally, because men are the people who make the choices in this business. I’m not their fantasy. When they are in their 50’s and 60’s, it’s their fantasy to be with someone young.”

On depression in the family

”It's absolutely in every one of us. It's in my grandmother, my mother, my children. I call it the gift-curse that you just deal with. Sometimes you deal with it well and sometimes you deal with it badly.”

”They still don't know enough about it, as far as I'm concerned. In my mother's time they knew nothing about it; my poor grandmother, she suffered a lot. I think as the generations go down, they do find out more information. But still, it's not like you can go get a blood test or MRI. It's all guesswork; it's definitely not a science.”

“It's something that I am making peace with -- no, I'm not making peace, because you don't make peace with it. You learn how to live with it. You either flow with it or it breaks you.”

“There are things that you give up for it and there are other things that you get that make you very artistic and sensitive. As negative as it could be with my mother's moods, the positive things were so positive. My mother would encourage me about being special and being gifted.”

“My mother was the most creative, fantastic person and would come up with great things to do. She'd buy art supplies and all of us would sit around painting. I was lucky. But then she would be really depressed and have a hard time coming out of her room. See, when you're young, it all seems normal to you.”

On aging

“When I turned 40, I just thought, 'You know what? Age is just bypassing me…then 45, and I'm thinking, 'I still look good.' Then 47 comes, and I'm running on the treadmill…I'm starting to notice it, little backache, little neck ache, get that lipstick perfect. It's a lot more output for less gain.”

On what advice she gives to herself

“Just to keep going every day, to continue being excited, fresh, interested and not just focus on yourself -- you know, try to divide your time between doing stuff for yourself and family and charity. It takes a lot of time.”


For other articles of interest to those over 50 (seniors and boomers) visit www.letlifein.com. With a cutting edge and a (sometimes irreverent) sense of humor, LetLifeIn.com explores all aspects of being 50+ -- the concerns, the issues, and the controversies as well as the fun stuff.

0 comments: